Skip to main content

3 Thrifty Baby Gifts you can sew


Dana, from Sew Thrifty has been an inspiration ever since I found her blog. Just like me, she loves to make use of what she had already and find a creative way to make things live longer in new forms. She just had a precious little girl, and she has put a few bloggers together, sharing thrifty ideas baby related to celebrate the arrivals of her youngest! Congratulations to her and her family!


I've got two kids and I think we're pretty much done with having kids. You'll never know what the future holds, and sometimes life comes up with a few unexpected surprises. We're not planning on having anymore though, so as cute and lovely as they are, chances are I'll be sewing baby items only to gift the ones around me. And with that in mind, I have put together a little wrap up of the baby related tutorials I have shared so far. Not only they are baby related, they will also cost you nothing to make... Let's see... 

#1. Baby Pocket Sling

here
I think I pretty much gifted one of these to my friends when they had their babies. And you can totally save a bit by making them using flannel and cotton sheets as your fabric choice. I've put up a tutorial for this a while ago, and you can check it out here, in order to make your own. Later I also make baby doll slings for the newborn's big sisters, as shown here and here

#2. Newborn Wrap Onesie

here
This one has been one of my personal favorites ever since I made it. It has been my readers favorite as well by the way. I made two of these when I was pregnant with my boy, and I drafted a pattern that I later shared on the blog. It's a hand drafted pattern, no fancy stuff, one size only, but works pretty well if you don't mind it. Find pattern and tutorial here and let me know if you get any done. I made mine, both of them, using t-shirts and more t-shirts scraps, some were mine and some were my husbands. The one of the photo above, was actually the very first thing he wore when he met this world. The nurse that cleaned him and all, noticed it was handmade and told me how special it was. I was so proud!!

#3. DIY Baby Toy


Again, I made this one for my boy and he loved it. I made it about the time he was already able to start holding his toys and it was easy to hold this one and later bring it into his mouth. I made this one using a very small stuffed dog, a scrap from an onesie that wasn't fitting him anymore and that was it. Pretty quick and easy, and you can make one too. See how to, by clicking here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Weekly Refashion Share #1 |FREE pattern & tutorial|

If you're looking for the giveaway, please click HERE

A couple of months ago I made these two onesies for my baby boy. You can read more about them by clicking each photo.
They were both refashions from t-shirts, and ever since I made them, I've been wanting to share a tutorial. But not only a tutorial, you can have a FREE pattern, the one I drafted for my own. If you are expecting a baby, or have someone close to you that is, this would make a great gift, so go ahead, grab the PATTERN, print it and let's start sewing. 
Note before you start: - Some pattern pieces need to be taped together. In order to do that, you have to match the number on the pattern and letters A to B. Example: piece 4A to piece 4B. Tape them matching the symbols on both pieces.  - I didn't realise it, but I've added two star pattern pieces, but just one is enough, of course. It is an optional add.  - All seams are 1/4" except for sleeves hem, which are 1" long.  - Just one more t…

Pocket Sling Tutorial

Back in September, I guest posted for Tasha over I Seam Stressed, while she was adjusting to her new life as mom of two. For that post, I've put up a tutorial on how to do your own pocket sling. Today's, I am bringing it home, since all we think about now is Christmas and all the handmade presents we have to make, i think this should be a good idea to gift a new mom or a pregnant relative/friend in your life. Enjoy!

Since my appearence here is due to Tasha's baby boy's birth, I thought I'd come up with something every mom should have. Especially when they are still newborns (even though I used mine until my little one was around one year old, then she just wanted to walk everywhere and we slowly left it aside). I am talking about a baby pocket sling, of course.


I prefer pocket slings over ring slings by far, it gives me a better sense of security, but that might be just me. And today I will share a tutorial on how to do your own.


So, the first thing you have to do is…

The Dreaming of Spring Blazer |FREE PDF Pattern| day 1 of the Sew along

EDITED: You have until the 30th of November to link your blazer to the flickr group to have a chance to win a free pattern for the Bubble Shorts pattern by DoGuincho. Read more about it here.

If you are new to my blog, you might not know that I have promised to share a pattern for the blazer I made my daughter when I competed in the Sew Off. If you were following already back then, well, I am sorry I kept you waiting for so long. If you haven't yet, you might want to check out the blazers my friend testers made. You'll love them, I'm so sure!

It was about time to give something back, since I've been getting so much from this wonderful sewing community, and keep up with my word. After all, I've always heard it's better late than never, right? And it's FREE so: please don't complain.

This pattern will fit a 18 months to 2 year old, but I believe it has space to grow - especially on the sleeves department. I guess it really depends on your child. Mine was…